Thursday, March 17, 2011

Care Walk 2011

Every so often, you get someone hittin you up, talking about "please support _______" & depending on how close you are, or if you know someone who has gone through tough life threatening diseases, you'll step up & give someone what you can, whether its monetary or your time.  Yesterday, I was informed of "Care Walk 2011" which will take place on May 1, 2011, sponsored by the Cooley's Anemia Foundation & the Thalassemia Action Group.  Its one day where a whole series of individual walks that will let people across the country demonstrate their support for people with thalassemia.  You can show you care just by going for a walk.  Here in the Bay Area, there are 3 different sites:  Berkeley, Golden Gate Park & Santa Rosa.  You can click HERE for more info. 
my little vampire, full & alive <3
So why is am I even blogging about this?  Because its personal & because its my life.  For the past 9 years of my life, I've been battling alongside my daughter, who has the disease Beta Thalassemia Major.  She inherited the Beta Thalassemia TRAIT from me & her dad, which is VERY common in people of Mediterranean descent, such as Italians and Greeks, and is also found in the Arabian Peninsula, Iran, Africa, Southeast Asia and southern China.  With that being said, please get checked for the trait before you have children.  You really think chances are low when you're already pregnant & find you have the trait... have your partner tested & they have the trait... then test your unborn child & think that the odds are in your favor with a 75% chance your baby will be just fine... only to discover that you're in that 25% bracket.  Ohh the odds.

"Thalassemia Major or Cooley's Anemia. This is the most severe form of beta thalassemia in which the complete lack of beta protein in the hemoglobin causes a life-threatening anemia that requires regular blood transfusions and extensive ongoing medical care. These extensive, lifelong blood transfusions lead to iron-overload which must be treated with chelation therapy to prevent early death from organ failure."

Keep in mind that my daughter is 8, goes in every 3 weeks for blood transfusions, extensive year round testing to ensure her health & daily treatments to prevent organ failure.  Now just imagine that shes been doing this exact routine since she was 6 months old.  That's more hospital visits than the average ADULT.  If that doesn't do something to your heart... no no no, I'm not looking for pity or anything, because we are truly blessed!  My daughter lives a normal everyday life because of the amazing medical care that we receive & the support of family/friends... she just has to miss a few more days than the average kid... but I would like to encourage & invite anyone in the area to donate or take a small stroll to help find a cure.  I was completely heartbroken when I found out the date because we've already made commitments out of town & will not be able to attend.   Regardless that wont stop me from bring it the rest of you folks that WILL be available!  In all seriousness, it would honestly bring me to tears if even 1 person decided to walk in her name in our place.  I could go on & on forever, but I wont.  My goal is to bring awareness to a cause that I literally LIVE.  Thanks for listening to my "non-beauty" related blog... although I like to believe that having compassion is beautifying the soul ;)

xo, Mia

**UPDATE** Two of my best friends have graciously offered to be live & direct at the walk!  Please feel free to join them under Team Mim or if you'd like to donate you can click here! And trust me, as I'm updating this, tears are welling up in my eyes again in my little work cube.  Rachelle Ruiz & Janet Fong, I adore you both & your friendship is something I will continue to cherish with all my heart.  Praise the Lord for such giving hearts!

1 comment:

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    ReplyDelete